Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Now I Can Hang With the Cool Kids

I've worked on several film productions and you can tell the folks who are veterans. They bring the tools they may need, with them. For instance, a script supervisor will have a clip board, a bevy of pens/pencils, highlighters, copies of the script/shot list, a ruler and a stop watch. Depending on a person's role, they'll have specific items for their particular job.

I've worked many different roles on a set. PA, grip, gaffer, data management, AC, psuedo-AD and director. It isn't like I received formal training in any of those jobs either. Everything I learned was via OJT through a bunch of great people who were not only wonderful teachers, but had the patience for a green horn like myself. Plus, they let me use their stuff, when I'm on the set, because I didn't have my own. Well that's finally changed! Voila! This is a mix of a grip/gaffer/AC kit. Just a few things I've either used often, or had the need for:



1 - Hot hands. Basically they're gloves that will help keep the flesh on your fingertips from melting away when you touch a 2,000 watt light. I've melted off my fingerprints one too many times to not make the investment (FINALLY). Cost: 35 bucks, but Ken gave me a 25% off coupon because he loves me...so...very...much.

2 - Mini notebook. There's been countless times when I said, "Dammit, I wish I had something to write this awesome information, I just received, down. Before I completely drown the memory in beer." Of course, the only thing I'll probably write in it is: "Buy beer". Cost: A buck and some change.

3 - Multi-tool. Everything on a set is put together with a multi-tool and gaffers tape. Everything important anyway. The damn thing has already made me bleed my own blood. Cost: A sawbuck.

4 - LED flashlight. These things are brighter than the sun. Seriously. I hit Jemara with the light and it made her fall off her Wii Fit board and thus mess up her yoga balance score for the day. She'll still love me...she doesn't have a choice. I feed her, provide her shelter and drive her places. Cost: Another sawbuck.

5 - Batteries for the flashlight. Yes, I take them out when I'm not using the flashlight. Helps extend the battery life. Oh, I replaced those cheap ones with Energizer lithiums. Sure, they're a little more expensive, but they last damn near forever. Cost: Rayovacs - free because they came with the flashlight. Lithiums - 20 bucks for a 12 pack at Costco. Get a membership already!

6 - Tape measurer. I know it says SINGER on it, but dammit that was the only cloth tape measurer I could find and I had to go into Jo-Ann's to get it. No, I left my testicles in the car before going in. I didn't want to set off any alarms. Anyway, you don't realize just how important a tape measurer is to an AC. Cost: 5 bucks and spending time in a store with a lot of people that wore plaid.

7 - C47's. Critical when dealing with lights and very handy in other ways. If you're on the set you'll find C47's clipped in various locations on a grip/gaffer's clothing/body. Use your imagination. Cost: 2 bucks for like 50 of 'em. I'm sure I'll have to buy another pack in a couple weeks.

8 - Pens and pencils. Necessary for writing in item #2 or to sign the release statements you'll get on the set. I have a Guinness one (of course) and a CLP one (company policy). The automatic pencil I jacked from Jemara. Food, shelter and chauffeur. Cost: Free. For me anyway.

9 - Dry erase markers*. These are used to put marks on the focus wheel. That's how you can pull off those badass rack focuses that got Kathryn Bigelow an Oscar. I still can't believe that. Really? The movie only made 15 million TOTAL domestically. Not that I'm knocking 15 mil, but Avatar made that in one afternoon. And no, I wasn't cheering for Avatar. I was actually rooting for Up In The Air. But we'll reserve that debate for a different time. Bring Guinness. Cost: 3 bucks I think.

10 - Fanny pack. You need something to carry all the above crap in. I used to clown people who wore fanny packs, but now I'm going to be sportin' one. So, they've now officially become cool. Cost: 6 bucks.

The only thing not shown is gaffers tape, but I jack that from the CLP stock. I'm official now! Stay tuned!

* EDITOR'S NOTE: Ken read this blog and corrected me on #9. You don't use dry erase markers on the China wheel (a.k.a. focus wheel). The dry erase markers are used for the slate. You use a Vis-A-Vis marker because it is a WET erase marker. Don't want to use a dry erase marker on a China wheel because fingers touch it to roll the focus and those same fingers will erase the marks you made. A Vis-A-Vis marker is wet erase, so your fingers won't erase the marks...unless you're shooting in Florida in the summer. Ken was also kind enough to donate a Vis-A-Vis marker to my fanny pack, because he loves me...so..very...much.

6 comments:

  1. nope...fannypacks will NEVER be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you get the rest of the 1st AC items, you can instead go with an AC Pouch. It's basically a fanny pack, only rectangular, and hooks on a belt. I think Pouch is slightly cooler than Fannypack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ordering one today. I tried to make the fannypack cool by writing my name and CLP on it, but I think that actually made things worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. where do you buy those vis-a whatever markers? in middle school, my teachers used them to write on overhead transparencies. should be obsolete by now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Ken has a case of them from back when he went to school. ;-)

    ReplyDelete