Thursday, June 17, 2010

Busy Like a Bee With a Vuvuzela

Been doing a lot of learning lately. Trying to step up my game so I can grow up and do this kind of stuff for a living, finally. Before I get started, I want to publicly convey congratulations to my bro, Ken Lowrie, for getting the gig as the Orlando Producer for the 2010 48 Hour Film Festival!!! It is well deserved and I KNOW he's going to do a kick ass job in the position. Ken, we've got to get together soon and have some celebratory grub and libations.

As far as what I've been learning. Well, last weekend we shot some night footage with the 7D. It is a lot of fun playing with that camera and learning the best way to get the shots we want. You have SO MANY options when you shoot stuff at night. Especially, when you're using Zeiss Primes! Viva la f/1.4! Anyway, I wanted to shoot myself driving, but it was easier to just shoot someone else doing it. I gave Enrique the keys and I took the 7D with the 50mm and we went for a ride around the block. Here's the result:


Ken shot some great footage while out at the beach a few weeks ago, but he had to stand in knee deep, very turbulent waters in order to get the shot. Oh, and he did it handheld, so the footage was kind of shaky. Thanks to one of Andrew Kramer's lessons, I was able to steady that footage and make it look kind of cool:


Here's a side-by-side so you can see what the original looked like compared to the final:


Finally, Ken and Brenda shot a bunch of nature related footage several months ago and I've just been sitting on it. I finally got around to putting together a demo reel with some of it. There was SO MUCH great stuff to choose from and I did the edit so it would flow from one shot to the next. You'd never think it was shot in three different locations in two different states:


Oh...and P.S. Check out this cool pic I took outside my house the other night of a spider making a BIG ASS web. Seriously, one of the anchor points was halfway up a 30 foot tall tree that's at least 20 feet away from the house:

I shot him/her with Ken's other Canon SLR with a 300mm telephoto lens, but I had it set to macro so the depth of field was probably less than half an inch. Look at the pic. His leg is out of focus. Crazy. Click here for the rest of them.

PEACE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment