Saturday, June 5, 2010

Geeks Need Love Too

I spend a lot of my time on computers. Being a software engineer, by day, and a wanna-be-filmmaker, by night, my fingers are usually always on the keyboard and my face illuminated by that sweet comforting glow of a computer display. I had to do double duty (geek and CLP) on a Saturday, which means I spent damn near most of the day at a computer. Today, I took a break, from saving the world one keystroke at a time, and read Philip Bloom's post on DSLRs. As you probably already know, we've been playing with a 5Dmk2 and a 7D, just to see what the big deal is. Well, it isn't just a lot of hype. Those cameras kick ass when it comes to shooting film and they're changing the game for everyone in the business. No, I'm not going to stand on my soap box, again, and try to sell you one the miracle cures of doing film with a DSLR. I would like to point out some cool stuff I've learned, during this well deserved break. Thanks Philip!!!

First, here's a trailer for the Zacuto Great Camera Shootout 2010, where they did a whole bunch of various testing on both film and DLSR cameras. Watch the 3 webisodes because they are chock full of really good information for both the seasoned filmmaker and up-and-coming:


Here's a film Philip Bloom did on a 5Dmk2 and 7D while out at Skywalker Ranch. Yes, I'm super jealous:


This is a music video done by Carlos Lascano on a 7D. I really like the way he did this. It mixes both live action and stop motion:


While I was composing this blog, Saturday Night Live just came on and as I watched the opening titles, I said, "That HAD to be shot on a DSLR." Sure enough it was, and look who's short was the inspiration behind it:

No comments:

Post a Comment