Friday, April 16, 2010

When It All Comes Together Nicely

I think I've mentioned a few times how tough it is to juggle the many pieces of making a good film/production. You're trying to tell a story, visually, and you want to keep the audience not only interested, but engaged. You'll need a story worth telling (but aren't they all?), you've got to get the right shots, and even if you get the right shots you still have to edit it, and score it, and fix it, and pound your creative abilities into it until you're left with a quivering bloody messy mash of ideas, imagination and dreams. Hopefully, when you're done, it looks something like this:



I watch things for production value now. Top Gear puts out stuff that is very high in production value. I've become a fan of the show and I try to catch it as often as I can just to see what little crumbs of knowledge I can gather up and chew on for a while. The Veyron vs. the Typhoon video is a really good example of how Top Gear invests time and effort to ensure the audience member is not only captivated by what they're seeing, but it also makes them FEEL the experience. I felt my ears rushing as I watched it, like I was either in the car or the jet or a spectator on the ground...it felt like I was there. And THAT, my dears, is how you become a better filmmaker. Make your audience feel it.

Holla.

No comments:

Post a Comment