Monday, May 10, 2010

Excuse Me Miss. I Seem to Have Misplaced My Congressional Medal of Honor...

...and I'm an award winning filmmaker. Talk about the best pick-up line EVAR! Seriously though, I am an award winning filmmaker...again. Yesterday, we did the premieres and awards ceremony for the Orlando 24 Hour Film Festival and we won Best General Public Film for our movie "Not So Far From Perfect". Yay us! I know you wonder what "General Public" means, but it was one of the categories. High School. College. General Public. It wasn't Best Overall Film, but it's a win nonetheless.

Before you get to the embedded link to the movie, let me tell you a couple things. At 9AM, at the start of the competition, we looked at our elements and we had to choose between Chick Flick or Western. I don't know if you know already, but we've done a Western.



Aaaaannnnnd, we won't be doing another one. Once Ken gets the bloopers for "Shortcreek..." uploaded, I'll be sure to share it with you. Those are better than watching the actual movie. Anyway, we already decided if we got Western, we were going to take the other option...no matter what it was. So, Chick Flick it was.

When I wrote the script for "Not So Far..." I wanted to ensure we used all of the talent who volunteered to help us. We had a total of seven actors and actresses (I later found out one of them drove all the way from Tampa to help us...crazy she did that for us). If they committed their time to our little endeavor, then dammit I'm going to make sure they have a role in our film. It's the least I could do. Lucky for us, five of the seven cast members were female of the species. Chick Flick indeed.

Wrote the script. Made the calls. Set up the first shot by 1PM. 20 hours to go. Shot the first scene. Set up the second shot at the lake. Shot it. All of the shots were done by 7:00 PM Saturday. 14 hours to go. Rough editing while Ken did ADR with David and Flavia. Finished a basic rough by midnight. 9 hours to go. Picture lock by 3 AM. 6 hours to go. Was apprehensive about what we had, but Ken said, "Let me clean up the sound." I took a shower and 20 min power nap while Ken worked his magic. 5 AM and I'm feeling a lot better about the film and we add sound effects and titles. 6 AM and we have our first version of the film ready to burn. 3 hours to go. Burned the first DVD and Ken let me play with some color correction since we had time. Color corrected, tossed in a glow and a vignette here and there. Minor tweaks to titles and burned the final version by 7:30 AM. QA'd it and headed to the turn in spot at 8AM. Handed ours over with 30 mins to spare. Enjoy:



It was very cool to win another award and it shows we're still headed in the correct general direction. Stay tuned kids. There's more goodness to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment