Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Benefits of Insomnia

So, I can't sleep. It happens. A lot of it has to do with the fact I can't shut off my brain right now. Wait...my brain in my big ass head. Anyway, I'm still up and I'm flipping channels on the telly and I find something that made this whole night just that much more special. When I grow up, I want to be able to direct/shoot/edit something...just...like...this...



Wow. And definitely not my first one tonight.

The funny thing is I've watched that a few times and I know exactly how to get every single one of the shots they used in that sequence. Most were done on a jib. Some had a 90 degree shutter angle. Some were also over-cranked to 120+fps (maybe 500...at least). They had to have shot it on camera capable of doing 4K OR they have a badass piece of telephoto glass on it. Color correction is immaculate. I know it was done over several takes, because 1) you can't get that many cameras for that much real-time coverage unless you have a gang of dosh and 2) all of the tire streak marks already on the asphalt. Finally, the slo-mo scene showing the dirt bike and the rally car making that last jump, with the C-130 aircraft flying in the opposite direction, was done entirely in post-production. How do I know? Look at the shadows. The plane doesn't have one and it should.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment