Monday, March 8, 2010

Diamonds in the Rough

A few weeks ago we hooked up with SNAFU to rap to the guys a little bit and discuss a bio project we're working on with them. Let me tell you, Phil (guitarist and lead singer), Steve (bass player) and Ryan (drummer) are the COOLEST guys you'll ever meet. They're really down to earth and very humble about their awesome talent. We got to the location with nothing planned but to talk to the guys and maybe do a couple test shots. If you know the location, it is a pretty tight space and getting the EX3 in there with all the attachments isn't easy. Especially when you want to shoot with a 85mm lens. Of course, we all make sacrifices for Mr. Carl Zeiss.

We recorded about half an hour of footage, so it wasn't that difficult to go through. While reviewing it, I couldn't help but to notice a particular clip. From the moment the record button was pressed, to start recording, until I pressed it again, the 10+ minutes captured was brilliant. I don't know how else to put it. We've been very lucky to capture artists when they are at there most real. When they are truly who they are and they're doing what they love to do best. We've also been very lucky to get some damn good footage in the process. This footage shows how SNAFU makes a song practically from scratch. Phil pitched the idea to the guys right after I happen to start recording.

I took that 10+ minutes and did a little bit of color correction to it as well as learned how to play with After Effects to do some floating titles. It is always interesting when I want to do something, but I don't know how to do it. I eventually end up reverse engineering the thing and somehow, it works. Anyway, enough of the chatter. Here's the end result:

SNAFU - Valentine's Day 2010 from Cloudy Logic on Vimeo.


Many thanks to SNAFU for giving us the time and wonderful shots!

I've still got more goodies up my sleeve, so stay tuned!

F! the Man!

No comments:

Post a Comment